Domain redirection to a different website
How to redirect a domain: A Complete Guide for Beginners
Let's say we've bought a new domain which better represents our business, but your clients know you better via old name. In this article we'll learn what is a domain redirect, how to do it and when you should do it ?
What is a Domain redirect?
When we redirect a domain, you're simply forwarding it to a different address on the same or different domain. You can redirect your users from your old domain to your new one, so the older users can still connect to the new website with the old domain.
How to redirect a Domain ?
Easiest way to redirect a domain is by connecting to your hosting provider's control panel. For this tutorial we'll be using DirectAdmin:
- Go to DirectAdmin control panel. Under Advanced features category, select Site Redirection.
- On the newly opened window we can see what domain and what website page will be doing the redirection. By default whole domain is doing redirection to a different website, but also there's an option to create a custom website page redirect such as website.com/discord does a redirect to a discord group invitation page. But in this case we would need to create a button that does a redirection to website.com/discord. Creating a redirection you always have to check if the information we've typed in are correct. Also make sure that you have chose the correct protocol - HTTP or HTTPS.
- When redirection is created and save button is pressed, we can see where the domain or part of it forwards.
- When the redirection is made sometimes you have to wait sometimes up to.
You should be able to follow these steps on almost any control panel, as the process is very similar.
Why should I redirect my domain ?
There are plenty of situations where redirecting a domain or URL can be useful. The most common reasons are:
- Having duplicate content. Multiple same posts on a website can negatively impact your website SEO ranking. Search engines can't decide which URL is main and having the correct information and which it should rank on search results
- Managing multiple domains. Instead of having multiple websites with the same page it's more wisely to redirect them a main one.
- Migrating to a new domain. Kuomet pasikeičiame domeną į naują, galime seną domeną peradresuoti į naują svetainę, ko pasėkoje seni klientai matys naują turinį.
- Changing a post’s URL. You can avoid 404 error entirely by redirecting deleted posts URL to a new page.
Domain redirection is a common practice that is rather easy to do. But there always some homework should be done before taking action in order to do everything correctly. Redirections often can help in situations when unwanted or non existent pages would show different pages instead. This can also be a big help when redirecting your users to your social medias or other content.